Bargoed is a town in the Rhymney Valley, South Wales. It lies on the Rhymney River in the county borough of Caerphilly and straddles the ancient boundary of Glamorgan and Monmouthshire, with Bargoed originally lying within the old county of Glamorganshire whereas Aberbargoed was in the old county of Monmouthshire. 'Greater Bargoed', as defined by the local authority, consists of the towns of Bargoed, Aberbargoed and the village of Gilfach. The combined population of these settlements is approximately 13,000.
Originally a market town, Bargoed grew into a substantial town following the opening of a colliery in 1903. The colliery closed during the 1980s and its former site is now a Country Park.
The town has been undergoing a major redevelopment scheme, which have included a bypass (running through the valley, with links to Bargoed town centre, Aberbargoed and Gilfach), Morrisons supermarket and petrol station, a new bus station, repaving the road though the heart of the town, a 400+ space car park, new library, a relaxation area where the old bus station was on Hanbury Square, 7 retail units and a state of the art Odeon Cinema. Bargoed will be the only town in Caerphilly county borough to have a cinema.
The Grade II* listed Hanbury Street Baptist chapel has been converted into a public library.